Addiction Problem In The United States
The US nation is facing a huge drug problem today. A few would deny, substance abuse affects thousands of individuals featuring a growing number of fatalities because of chemicals and alcohol misuse. Despite the fact, the disease has been getting more and more coverage over the last few years, it is much broader than we can assume.
Obviously, the situation would get out of hand completely if it was not for rehab centers that provide comprehensive addiction treatment with a range of healing modalities and tools to cover various medical disciplines.
Commons Signs Of Substance Abuse Issues
When starting to use drugs, the majority of people fail to control the dosage. Over time, they crave more but the same dosage cannot already provide the same effect. As a result, the addiction is formed. The main signs of it involve:
- A lack of interest and boredom regarding things you used to enjoy;
- Lost connection with friends, family, or colleagues;
- A lack of care for yourself;
- Spending more time in isolation;
- Rapid mood changes, etc.
If you or your loved one notice any of the above-mentioned signs, you’d better opt for professional addiction specialists or the rehab center near you. Otherwise, it may lead to more serious and severe side effects.
Substance Abuse Side Effects
As a rule, major substances and drugs generate quite noticeable signs that include physical, mental, and behavioral symptoms. The key problem is that they are most likely to occur simultaneously leaving now chances for the patient to cope with them without professional medical assistance provided by the best rehab centers in the United States.
Experts divide all dependency side effects into three major categories depending on the health aspect they affect:
- Psychological – while cravings increase, people start taking more and more drugs putting their health and organism at risk. It results in noticeable biological changes such as rapid weight loss or gain, glazed eyes, tremors, worsening hygiene, dental and skin issues, damaged liver, infections, and other side effects.
- Behavioral – the disease changes our habits. People cannot focus on some crucial things. They start losing essential life and coping skills. Most patients suffer from shifted aggression, they become irritated, depressed, or even involved in criminal activities.
- Mental – depression never walks alone. It is paired with major mental issues that may include suicidal thoughts, bipolar disorder, paranoia, anxiety, and other problems that need urgent medical intervention.
Addiction Treatment Approaches
The only way to fight back addiction is to utilize a blend of approaches and modalities delivered by substance abuse specialists. Treatment programs can differ depending on the addiction type, dependency severity, symptoms, and usage history. For this reason, rehab usually starts with the stage of assessment and medical evaluation to define the best recovery tools that meet specific patients’ needs. Then goes:
- Medical detox. Detoxification is the process of symptoms withdrawal and removing chemicals from your body. Sometimes, it helps to replace harmful substances with milder ones provided through medication-assisted treatment and other options.
- Inpatient services. Residential care is recognized as one of the most effective ways to get back to normal life. The term “residential” means that patients are supposed to stay in the facility 24/7 until the program is over. Each plan comes with daily intensive therapies, medication management, health monitoring, etc.
- Outpatient services. The program is similar to residential treatment although clients usually have more freedom to maintain work or daily routine, as they do not have to stay on the campus all the time. Most common outpatient modalities include IOP, day or evening treatment, PHP, etc.
- Education and Counseling. Trusted rehab centers provide full-spectrum assistance and offer participation in individual and group therapies, workshops, family programming, life skills training, aftercare, or alumni support.
A blend of medical services and modalities helps patients overcome major challenges and stumbling blocks faced by the majority of graduates during the first three months after rehab.
Challenges People Face When Addiction Treatment Is Over
A successfully completed program never guarantees recovery success. The majority of patients still face specific stumbling blocks after rehab. The question is if they are prepared enough to take them and achieve long-lasting sobriety. The most crucial obstacles on the way to recovery include:
- Relapse – after leaving a rehab center with round-the-clock monitoring and medical support, people find themselves on their own in the same environment as during the addiction period. A few can stand it and resist the temptation of indulging in alcohol or drugs.
- Home transitioning – getting back home is always stressful after months on a recovery campus. Some people feel bored or depressed. Others fail to find a new sense in life. Everything at home reminds them of addiction.
- Lost coping skills – after months in a recovery facility, people have to learn how to socialize from the ground. They have to reunite with families, find a new job, and simply communicate with others. Getting back to society is always a challenge, especially after a long-lasting treatment.
Luckily, rehab centers offer a variety of additional services and specialty therapies to keep patients prepared for all possible challenges. Some hospitals offer relapse prevention services, sober and transitioning housing, coping skills training, and more.
Factors To Consider When Choosing A Rehab Center
If you prefer selecting a treatment facility on your own, make sure you consider the following key factors:
- Reputation – look for real-life success stories and recommendations by previous graduates. Check various online listings with users' ratings. Pay attention to how long a center is running as well as the track record with the number of patients recovered.
- Licenses and Accreditations – a rehab center must be licensed by state or national healthcare organizations and authorities. When browsing through the info on the official website, look for badges by CARF, the Joint Commission, NAATP, SAMHSA, and others.
- Amenities – as you might stay in a facility for a while, make sure you will feel comfortable there. Facilities should involve cozy rooms, daily chef-prepared meals, relaxation or gaming areas, a gym or a pool, and other options for in and outdoor activities.
- Insurance – not all patients can afford luxurious treatment. However, insurance makes it possible to cover up to 100% of treatment costs. Just check if the rehab center accepts your particular plan.
Substance abuse is a horrible disease that leads to devastating physical, mental, and behavioral consequences. However, together with professional and certified addiction specialists, everyone will have a chance to get back to normal life, achieve long-lasting sobriety, and reunite with people they love.
American Issues Project was launched to provide information support to those struggling with substance abuse and mental health issues. Our mission is to keep the public aware of what drastic and devastating consequent may addiction lead to as well as comprehensive tools and treatment modalities to overcome all challenges arising on the path to sobriety.
In our research, we consider some of the following factors to ensure the best pick for you or your loved one:
- Reputation – we check all reviews and real-life stories to ensure rehab success in the long run.
- Accreditation – each rehab center from our list is approved and licensed by some of the leading healthcare institutions. Each list contains centers accredited by CARF, SAMHSA, the Joint Commission, NAATP, and many other reputable organizations.
- Treatment modalities – our experts select organizations with full-spectrum medical services that include various levels of care and treatment options to let you make the most from rehab and quickly get back to normal life.
Our project represents a social movement and community of like-minded people seeking help delivered by professional dependency specialists. We have a team of dedicated and compassionate researchers who thoroughly analyze, compare, and contrast rehab centers across the country to let users choose the one that meets their recovery goals and specific health needs.